Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Easy Cheesy

Hellooooo friends.

I've got a tasty treat for you. So tasty in fact, it gets two thumbs up.



Cheesy? Nahh...just wait until you see what's coming up.


Now, this is cheesy. Cheesy, easy, and a crowd pleasing. You just can't go wrong.

Smoked Gouda Sausage Bell Pepper Breakfast Casserole

1/4 to 1/2 loaf of dried french bread
6 eggs
2 cups of milk
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2-1 lb breakfast sausage
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup of chopped red bell pepper
1 1/2 cups of grated smoked gouda cheese

Mmm... my mouth is watering already. Let me hurry and tell you how to throw this thing together so we can get on with dinner. Or breakfast. Or lunch. Or brunch. Or just whatever meal works best for you.

Tear up the bread into small pieces and layer in a casserole dish. Brown the sausage, onions and bell pepper. I added the veggies toward the end of the browning process because I like them a little crispier in this dish for the texture. I am a texture girl. Too much mush is not a good thing for me.

Add the sausage and veggies on top of the bread. Mix the remaining ingredients, saving 1/2 cup of cheese to top the dish. Pour the egg mixture over the bread and sausage. Top with the remaining cheese.

Bake at 350 for about 35 minutes.

One more look. These pictures really don't do it justice. The Gouda makes it mouth watering good. You could use boring old cheddar. And normally, I would. But, I threw my frugal caution to the wind when I was shopping and standing over the cheese case. And I am so thankful that I did. My tastebuds thanked me too.


Be prepared for clean plates and big hugs after this meal.


Who doesn't love breakfast meals? Even Ribbon enjoyed the leftovers.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a Christmas morning meal too me....Perhpas we need a new tradition....sausage biscuits goodbye?

Amy said...

I don't know if we can just ditch the biscuits completely. Griffin wouldn't allow it! But, this would be a nice compliment to them.

Aunt Patti said...

MMMMMM.... sounds and looks good..I am definitely going to try it.
Aunt Patti

JaeRob said...

we have to have sausage biscuits on Christmas, but definitely another morning we will try it. I love gouda cheese....