Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Do you see what I see?

Guess what? I think those are rain clouds. OK, so they aren't the actual clouds I saw this morning as I rode in to downtown on the bus, but they pretty much looked like that (and much thanks to khou.com for the image). What a welcome sight?! Since I have cracks in the yard surrounding my house that look as if we have had some catastrophic earthquake that shook the ground open enough to swallow us all up, I would think everyone would be jumping for joy at this beautiful sight this morning.

I tell you, I was doing a happy dance right there in my seat on the bus. The thoughts crossing my mind were something along the lines of... "I might actually be able to go get my hair done now and stop throwing hundreds of dollars at the local MUD in effort to thwart off any ugly letters from the homeowners association declaring I was an unfit resident of the neighborhood because my grass had the least bit of a yellow tint." Because those cracks in the yard big enough to swallow us whole are really in my neighbors yard, but stretching pretty close to mine.

But, as I was deep in thought about coloring the gray roots that are nearly two inches long on my head right now, my bus seat companion leans across and with an exasperated sigh says, "uh...look at those clouds. (another exasperated sigh) I sure hope the bus gets into downtown before the sky opens up and we get all wet." Followed by many more exasperated sighs ever three minutes for the remainder of our ride into downtown.

Who are you lady? What planet have you been sent here from? How can you even be the least bit bothered by a few raindrops from the sky when we are all about to dry up, wither away or be swallowed up by the cracks in our yards?

There is something refreshing, renewing and cleansing about a good rain shower. In times when we are getting a plethora of rain, I think we loose sight of this and take for granted the sheer magnificence of cleansing our earth and environment.

Personally, I would forgo a good hair day for a little rain. In fact, I have forgone good hair days for a couple of months now in an effort to ward off the evil homeowners association.
After taking a moment to stare at this lady next to me as if she was dropped here from another planet this morning, I am pretty sure she has forgone good hair days for a while and a little sprinkle on her hair won't really hurt anything.

No comments: