Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Thankfullness or Not

As I was running through my morning routine of applying nearly 30 products to my body, dressing and re-dressing at least 3 times to find just the right outfit and rearranging my hair no less than two times, I heard an interesting question posed on the morning radio show that I listen too.

For those of you who just asked yourself, "did she just say radio?" Yes, I do still listen to a radio in the morning. An exceptionally fine radio on my iHome, that I received as a gift, but I have to listen to the radio because I do not have an iPod. Don't judge, I just haven't gotten around to getting myself one yet. However, I would miss interesting stuff like what I am about to share if I chose to only listen to customized play lists with no commercial interruptions each morning.

Back to the topic at hand...

"What are you thankful for that you do not have?"
I pondered this as I was getting ready. It's not easy to think about those things that you are thankful that you do not have. Each time I came up with one, my mind immediately drifted off to the things for which I was thankful.
But, here is my lame attempt to come up with those things that I am thankful I do not have:
1. I'm thankful to not have longer hair because it would take me twice as long to get ready in the morning and twice as many products, reminiscent of the good old days of high school with long, big and permed hair.
2. I'm thankful to not have a home any larger than what I have or I might never come to the end of my chore list and the electricity bill would eat me alive!
3. I'm thankful that I do not have to worry about an adjustable rate mortgage right now.
4. I'm thankful that I do not have to worry about my son having a girlfriend yet. Sounds presumptuous, huh? We have had really thorough heart to heart and he really convinced me that this isn't a concern yet. Do you think I am a mother in denial?
5. I'm thankful that I do not have to worry about where my next paycheck is coming from or the next meal that we eat, even if it gets to a point of beans and cornbread on a daily basis. It's better than nothing.
6. After watching the news last nights, I am so thankful that I do not live near tornado alley or where earthquakes and tsunami's are a concern. Yikes!
7. I'm thankful to not have too many days with low humidity here in southeast Texas. I might get too used to having good hair days if we did.
8. I'm thankfuuuul tooooo nooooot haaaaaaave aaaaaaa.... husband/boyfriend right now. Eeeek...that was difficult to say and I still have a grimace on my face. But, let me tell you why. If I had one right now, he would not be the right one. Simple as that, even though its hard to swallow sometimes.
9. I'm thankful that I do not have to admit to the above all of the time. At least not aloud.
10. I'm thankful to not have to worry about my future or eternity or live without the blessed assurance of knowing that I am loved deeply, forgiven always and extended grace and mercy over and over and over!
What are you thankful to NOT have in your life?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful to not have kids. Amen, and Amen!

JaeRob said...

I'm thankful to not have a house note or car note!! And, I'm thankful to not have any other brothers and sisters other than the one i have!!!

Amy said...

Liz, "yet," right? Your thankful to have kids YET! Gotta have you some bambinos one day, girl! Life doesn't truly get fun until they come along. :)

And I totally agree, Jae. I'm thankful you do not have any other brothers or sisters either. Way more than either of us could handle!