Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A Heart of Gold

When I was in the ninth grade, I began to spend some time with this crazy girl I met on the bus. I had no idea then the treasure of a friend she would be to me through out my life. At least until this point...so, let's be careful not to screw anything up now D.

I could write a book about what this girl means to me and all of the things she has taught me and a few of the things that I have taught her (wink, wink). But, today I find myself reminiscing about her sweet, precious mother.

Good memories of an endless supply of Little Debbie powdered donuts, sweet tea, antique pictures and sweet lullaby's of children's music being hummed or tinkering on the piano warm my heart when I think of her.

In what seemed like the wee hours of the morning to a teenage girl trying to get her beauty sleep and recover from the adventures of the night before, there would be the aroma of coffee in the air and a plop on the bed and a familiar voice saying..."girls. girls. wake up and talk to me." She would gently rouse us to somewhat of a conscience state and we would rehash our adventures as best we could and nearly always with limited details because she was a parent, of course. We discussed everything from our friends and boyfriends, church, our choice of hairspray and lipstick colors (which happen to be Rave and Coral Rust or Wild Berry lip pencil plus from Merle Norman) and the happenings of the neighborhood pool where we both lifegaurded, calculus homework and when the next occasion would be to hit Casa Ole for our fix of chips and salsa.



Doesn't she look like she has a heart of gold? and be an early riser? and want company to rise with her? Just wait Blake, your day is coming too. (Photo compliments of your facebook page Kathy...thanks for sharing.)
As I was saying though...Words really can not express how important these chats have become to me. Priceless is about the closest thing I could ever say to describe how I feel about them. Of course when I was 16, priceless was not the thought that crossed my mind.

So priceless in fact, that my own child gets the pleasure of early morning wake up calls and chats of his own. Too bad I don't keep the endless supply of Little Debbie powdered donuts to ease the pain of those early mornings. No matter to me, I cherish this time with him and I know one day he will too.

Today marks the beginning of a new journey for Martha Ladd. At this moment, she is in a hospital in Maryland about to undergo a most significant, open heart surgery. She has had a sick heart for as long as I have known her and had gradually been deteriorating over the years. Her case has been through countless diagnosis, treatments and even lack of treatments because Dr.'s have been at a complete and utter loss for her condition is so rare.

Please keep her in your prayers today and her family. They are hopeful that the Dr.'s will be able to repair and restore her heart to a condition that she has not known in a very long time.

You can keep up with updates on Martha's status and post messages for her and the family here.

1 comment:

Kathy Hill said...

Thank you Amy. I hope to share this with Mom soon. I think those memories will make her smile.